Cookie Control

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Background of My Research Interests

I attended Institut Pertanian Bogor (Bogor Agricultural University), completing a Bachelor (Sarjana Pertanian) of Agricultural Science. The title of my thesis is “Effect of Phosphor and Potassium Dossages on Growth, Yield and Intencity of Pyricularia oryzae Cavara on Jatiluhur-variety Upland Rice”. I gained a complete knowledge and skills in upland rice cultivation from planting, fertilizing, integrated pest control, harvesting, post-harvesting and seed certification through this research and work experience in PT Sang Hyang Seri. Since then I valued ‘seeds’ as ‘seeds feed the world’. I became more interested in seed biology and conservation after I have been working as a researcher in the Seed Bank of Center for Plant Conservation – Bogor Botanical Gardens LIPI (Indonesian Institute of Sciences) since 1999. Indonesian plant conservation through seed banking/conservation has been my passion.
I undertook my Masters in Tropical Plant Sciences (Masters of Applied Science) in James Cook University, Australia in 2003-2004. My thesis’ topic is “Palmae (Arecaceae): Selected Aspects of Fruits, Seeds and Germination Strategies (in two parts): (1) Livistona spp., case study, (2) Germination studies involving 4 species: Oraniopsis appendiculata, Chamaedorea seifrizii, Arenga microcarpa and Adonidia merrillii”. I knew that the study areas of seed biology cover the ecology of regeneration in plant communities, so I pursued my PhD in mid 2006, in the same university, focusing on “Ecology of Palms (Arecaceae) in Response to Cyclonic Disturbances in North Queensland, Australia”. Currently I am revising my thesis after I submitted it in 2011 and passed by the examiners. This focus allows me to apply this knowledge in revegetation of disturbed areas as part of utilizing the stored seeds.

1 comment:

radish seeds said...

That is where i start to say farming is fun.